Monday, June 12, 2017

I am Leader

I AM A LEADER
Now that you know who a leader is I am sure you can see the place where you fit in in the whole leadership thing. I think this will also help you to know you are a leader. I know there are people who argue that leaders are born while some others believe leaders are made.
But what do you think?
ARE LEADERS BORN OR MADE?
Most of us belong to one of the divides while few of us belong to both. Someone like me believes leaders are born and are made too. I believe we all are born leaders and I also believe leaders are made. Let me put it in a simplest form I could; leaders are born (all of us are born leaders) but GOOD LEADERS are made. I think this is easier to understand now.
Please just follow me and hear my reasons.
The reason why many exempt themselves from being called leader is because they always think that leadership means position. Yes we have some people who by the position they are occupying today are leaders but that does not mean that you who presently are not occupying any position is not a leader. No! You are a leader whether you are occupying a post/position or not.
Allow me to drop this truth before I continue:
It is a fact that someone without any leadership position stands a better chance of influencing more people than the person with position. He also stands a better chance of having genuine followership than the person who is currently being called “Onye isi.” Just hold your peace, we shall come back to discuss this as we progress.
As I wrote before I am sure as you are now, you have some friends or even play group and I am also sure that many times those your friends or play group have looked up to you for a decision in some important issues. Let me say it like John C. Maxwell would say it “Leadership is influence.” What I am trying to say here is this; once you are able to have some level of influence on people or individual, you are a leader. It will be very important to note this: Position does not define a leader; position is only an avenue to make your “leaderabilty” known or noticed faster.



It is because of this notion that until one occupies a position he is not a leader that they kept saying “youths are the leaders of tomorrow” and in the Nigerian milieu or even the whole of Africa; tomorrow never comes. If you look round African especially in Nigeria my country you will discover that those who occupy leadership position at all levels are people who are well over their prime. These men and women are supposed to be leading from the side line but they refused to leave the pitch for their children with younger mind and dexterity to continue the play.
These old men and women keep pumping this tomorrow’s leader thing into the brain of our youths then because the youths of Nigeria believe or think their time to lead is “tomorrow,” they keep on playing away their time. Most are in school without any plan of what to do with their life after school. They are just happy they are not living with their parents and they just want to enjoy their freedom while it last because all operating cost are on the bank account of Dad, Mum, Uncle or Aunty.
Have you noticed that many people that inherited wealth from their Dad or husband mismanage the wealth in less than 3 years? Have you ever asked why it is like that? The reason is simple: they never taught they were leaders, therefore they allowed their Dad or husband to do everything. They saw themselves as the led and when the unavoidable happens like death or incapability because they were not prepared. They will be in the river while soap hurts their eyes and they couldn’t do anything until the inherited fortune is almost gone.
I don’t want to throw the blame to the parents of these children but to the young ones, because if they have been wise enough to know they are born to lead they would have been ready to face any eventuality.
From my above points I think you have seen that you are a leader and even that your house maid or house boy is also a leader.
We will look into good leadership and leadership traits in the next edition.
Thank you so much.
Stop illegal copying of my work.
Take permission and mention Onuigwe Chidi Sirnoel as the Author and owner of the work.
Image Credit: www.itselementary.com
Plagiarism is a punishable offence BE WARNED.

No comments:

Post a Comment